Individual memberships in the American Association of Colleges of Nursing are awarded at the discretion of the Board of Directors in three categories: Emeritus, Honorary, and Honorary Associate.
Emeritus membership may be conferred upon former AACN institutional representatives who have retired from the deanship and to whom the AACN member school has granted emeritus status.
See past winners >>
Honorary membership may be conferred upon former active AACN institutional representatives who have retired from the deanship but who continue to further nursing education or health care.
Honorary Associate Membership
Honorary Associate membership may confer upon any individual who has made an outstanding contribution to the goals of the Association. (Interpreted from AACN Bylaws Article III, Sections 3 and 4)
In evaluating whether or not an individual meets the following criteria for emeritus, honorary, or honorary associate membership, the Board of Directors will give primary consideration to the contributions of the individual toward furthering the goals of AACN:
Significant emphasis is placed on service on the AACN Board of Directors and/or leadership on committees or task forces. In addition, it is expected that the nominee will have regularly attended, participated, and presented at AACN meetings.
Other criteria for consideration:
- Contributions to AACN publications, such as the Journal of Professional Nursing.
- Service on AACN Board of Directors, committees, and task forces.
- Attendance, participation, and presentations at AACN meetings.
- Involvement in and recognition for promoting nursing education, research, and professional development at national, state, and local levels.
- Mentoring and leadership qualities.
The nominator is responsible for securing the following information and forwarding it to AACN headquarters:
- Letter of nomination that outlines how the nominee has furthered the goals of AACN and meets the criteria listed above.
- At least two letters supporting the nomination, from full institutional members of AACN, for a total of at least three letters.
- If nominated for emeritus membership, written confirmation of emeritus status from the nominee’s former employer institution.
- A current curriculum vitae with nominee’s home address.
The Board of Directors reviews and votes on all nominations for which it has received the complete nomination packet. The President notifies the nominator and persons who wrote the support letters of the Board decision.
For more information about the individual membership criteria and nomination procedure, please call the AACN membership department at (202) 463-6930.