Published May 01, 2018
Purpose of the Group
- Serves as a convening body to unite expertise, experience, and guidance for academic nursing in Leading Across Differences.
- Collectively explores innovative approaches to enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in academic nursing and the nursing workforce.
- Supports the efforts of AACN member institutions and academic nursing at the local, regional, and national levels to advance diversity and inclusion. These efforts include, but are not limited to:
- Sharing evidence-based promising practices
- Engaging with the membership
- Providing consultative services
- Convening networking forums
The goal of DEIG will be to align its efforts with the strategic diversity goals and objectives of AACN and the larger nursing community.
Engagement and Time Commitment
- Build consensus regarding structure and strategies that align with AACN strategic plan.
- Hold periodic discussions regarding summary of planned activities.
- Mentor new diversity, equity, and inclusion officers in nursing schools.
How to Join DEIG
Group members will be recommended and appointed by the dean/director of an AACN Member School. Those appointed will be faculty members and/or administrators who are responsible for institutional multicultural/diversity affairs. Appointed members may also include staff responsible for leading diversity affairs or representatives from the community who have this knowledge. DEIG will consist of one representative from AACN's member schools.
For those who are interesting in joining DEIG, please email Dr. Vernell Dewitty, Director of Diversity and Inclusion at email@example.com.