Offered by the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA, this four-day program is taught by Wharton faculty, who present relevant and timely content designed to advance chief academic administrators to a higher level of leadership. The all-inclusive fee covers tuition, lodging, and meal expenses.
This program is open to deans/directors and associate deans/directors from AACN member schools who currently serve as the chief or associate chief nursing academic officer. Registration is limited to 40 participants via this competitive application process. Applications from members aspiring to the above roles or currently in other key leadership positions will be considered as space allows.
The curriculum for the AACN-Wharton program is designed to provide the concepts and tools needed to enhance leadership capacity and hone the skills that are essential to thrive and move forward strategically. The content addresses issues around managing and leading change, influencing and galvanizing a diverse set of stakeholders, and building enterprising relationships in highly volatile environments. Participants leave the program equipped with an advanced set of negotiation, leadership, and influencing skills, as well as the confidence and ability to serve on or lead high-powered boards.
- Provide the concepts and tools needed to enhance leadership capacity and hone the skills that are essential to move forward strategically as an academic leader.
- Address issues around managing and leading change, influencing and galvanizing a diverse set of stakeholders, developing value innovation, and building strategic relationships in highly volatile environments.
- Equip participants with an advanced set of negotiation, leadership, entrepreneurship, and influencing skills.
- Facilitate interactions and collaboration within the cohort, providing participants with a valuable and ongoing resource network.
Program participants will gain the ability to:
- Manage and lead change at an enterprise level
- Strategically influence and negotiate
- Skillfully strategize and innovate value with internal and external stakeholder
Eligibility & Requirements
Applicants must be nurse educators employed at AACN member institutions, meet the eligibility criteria, and provide evidence of institutional support for this program. Specific eligibility requirements:
- Progressive experience in academic administrative roles and positions
- Professional goals congruent with the aims of the fellowship program
- Deans/directors and associate deans/directors from AACN member schools
- Currently serve as the chief or associate chief nursing academic officer
Call for Applications
The 2018 cohort application cycle will open in Fall 2017. Stay tuned for 2018 program dates.
Each year since 2012, a cohort of 40 Wharton-AACN Fellows have developed the necessary tools to further their leadership roles in the academic nursing world. View fellows below.
| 2017 Fellows
| 2016 Fellows
| 2015 Fellows
| 2014 Fellows
| 2013 Fellows
| 2012 Fellows