The Elevating Leaders in Academic Nursing (ELAN) is a program designed for aspiring deans and senior faculty in leadership roles. This new program provides participants with a focused assessment experience, a range of content and exercises related to successful executive leadership, and the opportunity to establish a peer network that fosters long-term partnerships and collegial support.
ELAN is a year-long fellowship and will kick off with an in-person week-long workshop. ELAN participants will take advantage of a leadership immersion, which includes peer coaching, team-building, and advanced simulations. After the on-site event, participants will have access to an online community, two 4-hour e-learning workshops, and peer group discussions. Additional services that will support the fellowship may be added to the experience, such as coaching and mentoring, at an additional cost.
Who Should Apply:
The purpose of ELAN is to enhance the executive leadership skills of individuals in administrative and leadership positions who aspire to lead the nursing academic unit.
View details about ELAN's predecessor, LANP and LANP fellows.
The development of high-level leadership skills in faculty and administrators in schools of nursing is vital to the success of the baccalaureate and graduate nursing enterprise given the complex challenges being faced by these organizations. Individuals in leadership roles at schools of nursing are challenged by an array of complex issues including:
- Financial constraints faced by higher education
- The need to develop effective partnerships with the practice environment to assure the development of training opportunities and appropriately educated professional nurses
- The need for strategies to recruit diverse student populations to the field
- The need to partner with multiple players to meet these challenges
- Competition for scarce resources at the university level
Moreover, there is growing awareness that the aging of the nursing professoriate is reflected in the demographics of those individuals who are administering academic nursing programs.
ELAN features an intensive 5 day in-residence leadership immersion, focused assessment activities, facilitation of a mentorship experience, opportunities for follow-up with seminar faculty, and the sharing of ideas and resources among fellows.
- Pre-work: assessment battery, reading, and case studies
- 5-day in-residence leadership immersion experience
- Post work: Virtual workshops
- Peer coaching group conference calls
- Private online community
- Program fee: $4,000
Scheduled Meeting Dates
- July 31-August 5, 2022 | In the event that onsite convening is safe, an intensive leadership retreat in Chicago, Illinois
- Session 2 Winter 2022 | Virtual Learning Session
- Session 3 Spring 2023 | Virtual Learning Session
The program focuses on key leadership competencies needed in nursing education and healthcare environments. ELAN is devoted to general executive leadership development. Note that fiscal and academic issues, while discussed and used as examples, are not the primary focus.
Seminar topics include the following:
Introduction of the Key Vision and Framework for a Strategic Intervention on Leadership:
- Theories of leadership
- Relating theory to strategic actions
- Evidence for validation
- Review and evaluation of the strategic assessment
From the Broad to the Specific:
- Strategic assessment of the individual – possibilities for growth and change
- Peer learning and feedback mechanisms
- Case studies for change
- Creating personal models for strategic growth and change
Targeted Cultural Change:
- Linking the individual’s assessment to the organizational culture
- Developing plans for intervention
- Establishing long-term networks
- Change and conflict
- Evaluation and redesign
ELAN is competitive, resulting in a select group of leadership fellows. Applicants must be nurse educators employed at AACN member institutions, meet the eligibility criteria, and provide evidence of institutional support for this program. Specific eligibility requirements include:
- Educational preparation and licensure in nursing
- Faculty or administrative appointment in a school of nursing
- Progressive experience in academic administrative roles and positions
- Professional goals congruent with the aims of the fellowship program
Applicants selected to participate in ELAN will be expected to:
- Complete all the self-assessment processes prior to the seminar (360 degree review, etc.)
- Attend the entire 6-day seminar
- Participate in group discussions during the fellowship year via AACN’s Online Community - AACN Connect
- Commit to developing personal and professional skills to assume the role of chief academic administrator of a school or college of nursing
Priority is given to individuals seeking leadership development in order to transition into the role of dean/director, or who have the potential for long-term commitment to the role of a chief academic administrator of a nursing program. Additionally, in order to enhance the pipeline of academic leadership, those faculty in formal leadership positions are encouraged to apply. Selected fellows will be expected to attend the entire conference and participate in all educational and evaluation activities.
How to Apply
Apply by: March 15, 2022
Applications must be submitted via the online form. In preparation for your application, please review the application details in the call for applications.
Applicants will be notified on acceptance in April 2022. At that time, institutions will receive an invoice for the $4,000 program fee.
119 Nursing Faculty Leaders have now engaged in professional development activities, including an assessment of current leadership style and skills and work to accomplish identified goals. Representing a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills, the AACN Fellows have developed the necessary tools to be leaders in the academic nursing world.
Meet the three cohorts:
Cohort 1- 2019-2020
Cohort 2- 2020-2021
Cohort 3- 2021-2022
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
I attended LANP - should I attend this?
- ELAN would repeat much of the content; we do not recommend applying for this program. Please see AACN LEADS for all leadership development opportunities offered by AACN.
How can I apply?
What if my school can’t pay?
- At this time we want to accept applications that will be funded by their school. If your school is not able to fund your registration for this program ($4,000), and you would like to supplement the cost of this program please contact email@example.com.
For more information, contact AACN's Associate Director of Online Learning and Engagement Alexa Tehansky at 202-463-6930 ext. 265.