Sister Bernadette Armiger was the third president of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. She served as president from 1972-1974 during her deanship at the Niagara University College of Nursing in New York.
As President of AACN, Sister Bernadette was instrumental in forming the alliance between AACN and the ANA, as well as the Interorganization Committee for Implementation of Nursing's Role in Health Care Delivery, which brought together the presidents and executive directors of AACN, ANA, and the NLN. She also established AACN's connections with the Association of Academic Health Centers, the Association of American Medical Colleges, and the Coalition for Health Funding.
As an active member in AACN, Sister Bernadette Armiger made significant contributions to nursing in both the academic and professional arenas. To honor her distinguished service, and to recognize and encourage efforts toward the advancement of nursing education and practice, AACN established the Sister Bernadette Armiger Award in 1982.
Current Deadline for Applications is June 3, 2022
2022 Award Winner Dr. Eileen Breslin
See Past Award Winners >>
Purpose of Award
To recognize a nursing leader who has made significant contributions to the American Association of Colleges of Nursing and its goals, to nursing education, and to the advancement of the profession.
Frequency of Award
The award is presented annually in the fall.
Representatives of current AACN member institutions are eligible to nominate candidates for the award.
- A call for nominations will be included onine and in the Deans Annual Meeting Materials.
- Each nomination must be accompanied by statements of endorsement from two additional AACN members, a total of three endorsements. All three statements must address how the candidate meets the criteria for this award. The originator of the nomination is responsible for soliciting the endorsements.
- Nominations are due at AACN Headquarters by June 3, 2022.
Criteria for Selection
- Active in and given service to AACN while serving as a representative of a member institution. "Active" indicates attendance at meetings and "service" indicates service on committees, board of directors, as an officer, etc.
- Nationally recognized for significant contributions to nursing education.
- Demonstrated qualities of scholarship, leadership, and advancement of the nursing profession.
- Service as an exemplary role model in nursing.
- The Board of Directors will review all nomination materials and will decide on the award recipient during the summer.
- The recipient of the award will be notified by the president. Nominators of the winner and all candidates not selected will also be notified of the decision.
Submitting a Nomination
Please submit your nomination and supporting documentation to AACN Membership Director Beth Aronson at (202) 463-6930, ext. 263 or at email@example.com.
For more information, contact AACN Membership Director Beth Aronson at 202-463-6930, ext. 263 or firstname.lastname@example.org.