Published April 03, 2019
On February 15, Ruth Treisman and Bev Zabler with the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM) College of Nursing published a feature article in Sigma Nursing's Reflections on Nursing Leadership titled "It Takes a Community: A College of Nursing Finds a Way to Work Well Together." The authors detail how UWM faculty advanced a "Working Well Initiative" at the school of nursing to build an inclusive academic community that encourages new connections and make work more meaningful.
Published online on February 20 by Nurse Educator, researchers with Salisbury University and Connecticut Children's Medical Center have written a new article on "Learning How to Teach" in Nursing: Perspectives of Clinicians After a Formal Academy." To assess the experiences of participants who completed a structured program that prepares practicing nurses to serve as clinical faculty, the researchers conducted a series of focus groups and collected insights that will help inform efforts to address the faculty shortage.
AACN Celebrates 50 Years - A Look Back at 1989
After three years as the association's Director of Government Affairs, Geraldine "Polly" Bednash assumes the role of AACN Executive Director. Dr. Bednash will stay on in that role (later named Chief Executive Officer) for the next 25 years, becoming one of the nation's most respected advocates for higher education in nursing and interprofessional engagement. During her tenure, she is credited with establishing AACN as the national voice for baccalaureate and graduate nursing education.
AACN Partners with LiquidCompass to Offer State-of-the-Art Career Resources to Nursing Schools Nationwide
Climb to New Heights at Business Officers of Nursing Schools Annual Meeting in Seattle
Don't Miss the Upcoming Webinar on Improving Population Health via DNP Informatics Projects
The Social Pulse
CEU Opportunity: Webinar on Community-Based and Recovery-Oriented Services
AACN members are encouraged to participate in an upcoming webinar on Community-Based and Recovery-Oriented Services on Thursday, April 25 from 1:00 - 2:00 pm (ET). This webinar is part of a three-part series was developed in part by funding from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) Mentored Training Award through the AACN. Nurses participating in the webinars and completing the evaluation tool may receive CEU credit.
Get Ready for the 25th National Infant Immunization Week
National Infant Immunization Week (NIIW) is April 27-May 4, 2019. As the 25th anniversary of NIIW approaches, the CDC is highlighting the importance of on-time infant immunization and the positive impact vaccination can have on the lives of infants and children. We encourage AACN members to review a number of resources, including Provider Resources for Vaccine Conversations with Parents, Talking with Parents about Vaccines for Infants, and Preparing for Questions Parents. During the week, make sure to get social! Join the #ivax2protect Twitter storm on Tuesday, April 30 from 7:00-9:00 pm (ET).
Inside this edition of Washington Weekly: Support for Title VIII FY 2020 funding requests is circulating in Congress; and join in celebrating National Public Health Week 2019!
Read AACN's Washington Weekly >>
Member News & Announcements
- Dr. Christie Shelton, Professor of Nursing and Dean of the School of Health Professions and Wellness at Jacksonville State University (JSU) and AACN Board Member at Large, has been named Provost at JSU. Dr. Shelton served in a variety of leadership roles at the university, including BSN program director, co-principal investigator, nursing instructor, and associate dean, before becoming Dean in 2013. She will assume her new duties on June 1. Read more >>
- Goldfarb School of Nursing at Barnes-Jewish College (MO) has named Dr. Mayola Rowser as its new dean, effective in May. Currently, Dr. Nancy Ridenour serves as both the president and the dean of Goldfarb; those two roles are being separated in May, with Dr. Ridenour continuing to serve as president. Read more >>
- Dr. Linda Haddad has been appointed as the Director and Irwin Belk Distinguished Professor of Nursing for the School of Nursing at the University of North Carolina Wilmington College of Health and Human Services. Read more >>
- Dr. Elaine Smith has been selected as the dean of Adelphi University's (NY) College of Nursing and Public Health, effective March 16. Read more >>
- Dr. Kristin Ashford, professor and associate dean at the University of Kentucky College of Nursing, will be presented with the prestigious Southeastern Conference (SEC) Faculty Achievement Award. The SEC Faculty Achievement recognizes faculty from SEC universities with outstanding records in teaching and scholarship. Read more >>
- Last month, 6 students from the Baylor University Louise Herrington School of Nursing joined with 19 students from Baylor University's Medical Service Organization traveled to Peru on a medical mission trip. The group worked with Operacion San Andres to offer a health clinic to the underserved populations in Collique, a shantytown on the outskirts of Lima. Throughout the week, the 25-member team conducted health screenings for 370 people, ranging in age from six months to 94 years old. Read more >>
See Past Issues of AACN News Watch