Published April 24, 2019
Welcome to Rounds with Leadership, a forum for AACN’s Board Chair and President/CEO to offer commentary on issues and trends impacting academic nursing.
April 24, 2019 - Galvanizing Support for Nursing Now USA
On April 9, AACN leaders and staff had the pleasure of joining with our colleagues at the National Press Club in Washington, DC to celebrate the launch of Nursing Now USA, which is part of a global effort to raise the profile and status of nurses worldwide. Led by the American Nurses Association, the U.S. Public Health Service, the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill School of Nursing, and the University of Washington School of Nursing, organizers of this new U.S. campaign are committed to educating consumers on how nurses impact their health and to ensuring that nurses are well-positioned to improve the health of all people.
Nursing Now USA will align its priorities with the Nursing Now global campaign
by focusing on efforts to:
- Grow public understanding and support for the vital role that nurses have in achieving health equity and quality care for all.
- Use innovative strategies to improve the education, practice, and advancement of nurses.
- Translate evidence into nurse-led healthcare policy proposals that will result in universal health coverage and improve care delivery.
- Ensure nurses work at the top of their education and scope of practice and provide professional advancement opportunities for nurses at all levels.
- Develop and position nurses as key decision-makers and policy-makers to change clinical practice, healthcare systems, and public policies.
The vision for Nursing Now USA - Nurses Lead America to Health - resonates with AACN’s own vision, which states that Nurses Are Transforming Health Care and Improving Health. The campaign’s emphasis on driving change, advancing public policy, and expanding nurse influence also is consistent with our strategic goals to promote innovation and excellence, leadership development, advocacy, and collaboration to serve the greater good. Look for media campaigns in 2020 leading up to the crescendo of the celebration!
Nursing Now USA is looking to partner with nurses, national nursing organizations, state chapters of nursing organizations, schools of nursing across the country, healthcare partners, government officials, corporations, foundations, and media to elevate the transformative role that nurses play in the health and well-being of the U.S. population. To find out how you can get involved in this global effort, contact Dr. Cheryl B. Jones at email@example.com
We encourage all schools to connect with the Nursing Now USA campaign and join with a growing community of leaders to drive awareness of nursing’s impact on improving health and health care.