Published December 02, 2020
In the November-December 2020 issue of Nursing Research, Dr. Jean McSweeney from the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, joins with a distinguished group of academic nursing leaders for a column on Preparing Nurse Scientists: Challenges and Solutions. With a focus on strategies for bringing more nurses into PhD programs and advancing nursing science, this commentary is based on a Deep Dive session held at AACN’s 2019 Doctoral Nursing Education Conference.
In the upcoming January-February 2021 issue of the Journal of Professional Nursing, Dr. Julie Zerwic, dean of the University of Iowa College of Nursing, and her colleagues published a new article titled Planning and Implementing a Practice/Academic Partnership during COVID-19. With the goal of maintaining clinical learning experiences for nursing students during the pandemic, the authors outline a successful partnership involving a university and community college nursing program and an academic health center. The principles and strategies for maintaining clinical education during a crisis are provided.
There’s Still Time to Register for Next Week’s Fall Faculty Forum, December 7-9
Explore the Pre-Conference Opportunities for the Doctoral Education Conference
Upcoming Webinar: Interprofessional Education Insights and Strategies
AACN's Gallery of Leadership
Combating Racism and Fostering Inclusive Learning Environments
Recently Added Videos
Dr. Judith Karshmer
Arizona State University
Dr. Casey Shillam
University of Portland
Find out what your colleagues are saying about how the academic nursing community can help end racism and foster equitable change at AACN's Gallery of Leadership.
The Social Pulse
#SleeveUp: Tweet During National Influenza Vaccination Week and Make a Difference
National Influenza Vaccination Week (December 6-12) is a call to all Americans to get their annual flu vaccine if they have not already. Since COVID-19 and flu could spread simultaneously this winter, this week will serve to remind people that there is still time to protect yourself against flu illness and serious flu complications, such as worsening of chronic conditions or pneumonia. We encourage you to share the importance of flu vaccination on social media with the hashtag #SleeveUp.
Join the Conversation on Inclusive Excellence at #AACNDivSymp
As AACN's inaugural Diversity Symposium kicks off today, many important conversations are happening - both during the virtual event and on social media. Join the conversation on #inclusiveexcellence on Twitter by sharing your insights, lessons learned, and experiences with the hashtag #AACNDivSymp.
#AACNDivSymp Tweet Spotlight
- "Commitment without currency is counterfeit.” Already learning a lot from @AACNursing's #AACNDivSymp #inclusiveexcellence
- When two areas of my passions (nursing and diversity, equity and inclusion) integrate...LIFE BECOMES WHOLE! SO excited for today! Bring it @AACNursing Diversity Symposium - I'm ready! @DAWPHD #inclusiveexcellence @uofunursing
- Keynote is underway. @dawphd: If we’re not innovative we’re not moving forward. Innovators seek solutions and experiment with new ideas. More than 30 @uofunursing staff and faculty are attending. #AACNDivSymp
Inside this edition of Washington Weekly: End of the Year Push: Supporting COVID-19 and Funding Request on Capitol Hill; Funding Opportunities Available for Schools of Nursing.
Read AACN's Washington Weekly >>
Member News & Announcements
- The University of South Florida (USF) has appointed Dr. Usha Menon as new dean of the USF Health College of Nursing and senior associate vice president of USF Health. Dr. Menon joined USF Health in September 2018 as professor and vice dean of research for the College and has served as interim dean of the College since February of this year. Read more >>
- Dr. Antonia Villarruel, dean of the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, will be honored with a 2020 Globy Award from The Global Philadelphia Association, which uses the award to recognize significant achievements of Philadelphia leaders in medicine and business entrepreneurship. Dr. Villarruel is one of five recipients to be honored during the virtual awards celebration on December 14. Read more >>
- Dr. Norma Anderson has been named the new dean of the College of Nursing and Health Sciences at the University of Vermont, effective February 1, 2021. Dr. Anderson has built a reputation as a successful leader in the health professions, most recently as dean of the College of Health Professions at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center for six years and special adviser to the University of Tennessee System president on diversity and inclusion. Read more >>
- The University of Texas at Austin School of Nursing has received a gift from Ascension Seton to permanently endow a faculty chair in support of clinical nursing research. The new full-time position will strengthen the School of Nursing’s leadership in research and enhance its nursing programs and partnership with Ascension Seton by supporting nurses practicing in clinical settings. Read more >>
- The Barbara H. Hagan School of Nursing and Health Sciences at Molloy College in New York is the recipient of a $1 million gift – one of the largest ever at the College. The gift, from the family of Barbara Hagen, establishes The Barbara H. Hagan Endowed Scholarship, which will be awarded to students pursuing an undergraduate nursing degree at Molloy College. Read more >>
- University of Missouri-Columbia officials recently broke ground on a new $30 million Sinclair School of Nursing facility, to be completed by spring 2022. The new facility, on the same site as the now-demolished previous school of nursing building, will be donor-funded. The University of Missouri System's Board of Curators approved the project in April 2019. Read more >>
Coronavirus Resources for Nurse Educators
See Past Issues of AACN News Watch