Published April 21, 2020
On behalf of the AACN Nominating Committee, the following is the Call for Nominations for the AACN Board of Directors and Nominating Committee. Your leadership in advancing excellence in academic nursing is more important than ever, and we encourage you to submit an application to run for a position on the ballot.
The benefits of serving are many and include:
- A high level and significant role in advancing excellence in academic nursing.
- Engagement in discussions about strategic goals and priorities, higher education and healthcare issues, and challenges facing the nursing profession.
- A unique opportunity to serve the profession while maximizing the value of your AACN membership.
AACN’s Strategic Goals include:
- AACN is the driving force for innovation and excellence in academic nursing.
- AACN is a leading partner in advancing improvements in health, health care, and higher education.
- AACN is a primary advocate for advancing diversity and inclusion within academic nursing.
- AACN is the authoritative source of knowledge to advance academic nursing through information curation and synthesis.
For the current Call for Nominations, AACN is seeking nominations for the following positions on the Board of Directors and Nominating Committee.
- Board Member-at-Large (4 vacancies)
- Practice Board Member-at-Large (1 vacancy)
- Nominating Committee (3 vacancies)
The following criteria will be used when making selections for the slate:
- Need for representation across institutional types/sizes and geographical regions
- Need for representatives reflecting member diversity
- Special consideration will be given to candidates with previous service on national boards and committees, distinguished awards and special recognitions, research/scholarship, and/or thought leadership
- Conflict of interest
- Need for two candidates for each position vacancy
The criteria used for the Practice Board Member-at-Large will include:
- Nomination must be submitted by an AACN member dean/director
- Practice representative must be a CNO or hold a similar executive level nursing practice position
- Practice representatives follow the same guidelines as academic members – see Consent to Serve Statement
- Practice representatives must be individuals who have earned national distinction for their leadership, innovation, advocacy, and/or service
- Practice representatives must share a commitment to advancing the goals and priorities of AACN and academic nursing
- Practice representatives cannot be directly affiliated with the academic institution of currently serving AACN Board members (e.g. The CNO of ABC Hospital cannot serve on the AACN Board along with the nursing dean from ABC University)
Board Competency Matrix: The Board Competency Matrix was developed by the Board of Directors in October 2019 and will be used by the Nominating Committee to inform the final slate of candidates. View the Board Competency Matrix that provides additional explanation.
Time Commitment: Additional information about the time requirements for each position can be found online on our Leadership and Volunteer Opportunity resource page at www.aacnnursing.org/Membership/Volunteer-Engage.
Submitting Nomination Packet Materials: The complete nomination packet consists of the signed Nomination Form (self-nominations accepted), Consent to Serve Statement, Biographical Data Form, and Personal Statement. A short CV should also be submitted to supplement the application.
The packet should be submitted as one document in Word format and sent via e-mail to AACNnominations@aacnnursing.org.
Nomination Packet Due Date: Friday, October 9, 2020
Term of Office: March 2021 to March 2023
Eligibility for Elected Office: Academic candidates must be the Chief Academic Nurse Administrator (Dean) of an AACN member institution.
Slate Announcement: The slate of candidates will be announced during the Business Meeting at the AACN Academic Nursing Leadership Conference on October 19, 2020.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): View FAQs to answer general questions.
Please contact Jennifer Ahearn, Chief Operating Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Note: Campaign activities are limited to the presentation of qualifications as provided to AACN through the biographical data form and personal statement. Any additional campaigning by candidates or their supporters is strongly discouraged.