Update from the Essentials Revision Task Force
AACN’s Essentials Revision Task Force is moving ahead with its charge to update all three Essentials documents, which are used to ensure quality in nursing programs offered at the baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral (DNP) levels. In an effort to better inform AACN’s membership about this important work, see resources below under the Progress to Date section.
AACN has a long history of leadership in the establishment of the educational benchmarks and expected outcomes of baccalaureate and graduate nursing education programs. In keeping with this tradition, this task force is charged with the development of three separate but aligned documents that delineate the expected competencies of graduates of baccalaureate, master’s, and DNP programs as well as the essential curricular elements that are to be present in these programs. With the task force divided into three workgroups by degree type, the task force as a whole will:
1. Using the AACN Vision for Nursing Education Position Statement as a basis, identify how healthcare trends and expectations will influence nursing’s roles and practice within healthcare delivery for the next decade.
2. Assess the practice community’s expectations for nursing graduates.
3. Make recommendations on the Essential areas to be addressed; consider the use of the interprofessional domains of practice used by the APRN Common Doctoral Competencies work group.
4. Review and agree on common definitions for competence, competency, and competency framework.
5. Reach agreement among the task force members on format, process to reach consensus, and expectations for transition to competency-based education.
6. Align the competencies for baccalaureate, master’s and DNP education, ensuring that they are appropriately leveled and advance nursing practice across the healthcare system and continuum of care.
7. Develop recommendations and strategies for AACN and the full contingent of academic programs to disseminate and implement the new Essentials.
Progress to Date
March 2019: Below are links to various resources containing updates on the work of the Essentials Revision Task Force to date.
Essentials Revision Leadership Team Members
||AACN Staff Liaisons:
|Jean Giddens, PhD, RN, Chair
Virginia Commonwealth University
School of Nursing
Linda Caldwell DNSc, ANP-BC, Consultant
Cynthia McCurren, PhD, RN, Chair
Grand Valley State University
Kirkhof College of Nursing
Nancy DeBasio, PhD, RN, Consultant
John McFadden, PhD, CRNA, Chair
Barry College of Nursing and Health Sciences
Jean Bartels, PhD, RN, Consultant
||Joan Stanley, PhD, CRNP
Chief Academic Officer
(202) 463-6930 ext. 254
Rick García, PhD, RN
Director of Nursing Education
(202) 463-6930 ext. 251
Kathy McGuinn, MSN, RN
Director of Interprofessional Education and Practice Partnerships
(202) 463-6930 ext. 262
Nursing Education Assistant
(202) 463-6930 ext. 250
202-463-6930 ext. 229
AACN Board Liaison:
Christie Shelton, PhD, RN,
Jacksonville State University
School of Health Professions & Wellness