Published March 26, 2020
Senate Passes Sweeping COVID-19 Stimulus Package: Includes Title VIII Reauthorization!
Late last night, the Senate released the text of H.R. 748, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act and passed it by a vote of 96 to 0. This $2 trillion deal outlines several of AACN’s top legislative priorities and other key provisions, including:
- Reauthorization of the Title VIII Nursing Workforce Development Programs!
- Ensuring the Safety and Health of Nurses and Nursing Students: H.R. 748 provides $16 billion to purchase medical supplies, including vital personal protective equipment (PPE) for the Strategic National Stockpile.
- Prioritizes Education: This stimulus package provides $14.25 billion for college and universities. These funds are also for providing emergency financial aid to students. H.R. 748 suspends federal loan payment and interest accrual through September and allows for flexibility for students and institutions for federal student loans as we deal with the realities of COVID-19.
- Authorizes NPs and CNSs to Certify Home Health Care.
- Modernizes the United States Public Health Service, which includes a Ready Reserve Corps to serve in times of public health and national emergencies, an AACN supported initiative.
- Provides Support for Healthcare Providers: This includes $100 billion for hospitals and healthcare providers. In addition, H.R. 748 includes increased investments in rural health, telehealth, and the National Health Service Corps, among others.
To view the full legislative text, click here. AACN continues to monitor as this bill progresses. Keep in mind that this text may change anytime up until final passage. For updates and new developments, follow us on Twitter at @AACNPolicy.