Published December 01, 2021
Build Back Better Act Heads to the Senate: Take Action Today!
On November 19, the U.S. House of Representatives passed the Build Back Better Act (H.R. 5376). AACN is pleased to see that the bill includes many academic nursing priorities, such as:
- $500 million for School of Nursing in Underserved Areas: Similar to the Future Advancement of Academic Nursing (FAAN) Act, this section would provide much needed resources to support our nursing schools, faculty, and students.
- $500 million for the Nurse Corps: To support scholarships and loan repayment assistance for nurses at a healthcare facility with a critical shortage or nurse faculty at an accredited school of nursing.
- $170 million to Grow and Diversify the Nursing Workforce in Maternal and Perinatal Health.
To see the full bill, click here. For the Section-by-Section, click here. For AACN’s press release, click here.
The legislation now heads to the Senate for consideration. Take Action Today! Send a message to your Senators asking them to preserve these crucial investments in nursing education and the workforce in any final bill passed by the Senate.
Apply Today! Federal Funding Opportunities
The Administration has released funding opportunities for key programs impacting AACN schools, faculty, and students. See below for more details.
- Nurse Faculty Loan Program: Apply by January 13, 2022 for funding to support those nursing students in advanced degree programs who want to become nurse faculty. Have questions? Join the technical assistance webinar on December 16, 2021 at 1:00 pm. Click here to apply today.
- National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Loan Repayment Programs: The Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) extended the deadline to apply for the NHSC Loan Repayment Programs to February 3, 2022. You can apply for the NHSC Loan Repayment Program, NHSC Substance Use Disorder Workforce Loan Repayment Program, and the NHSC Rural Community Loan Repayment Program. Click here to apply.
- Nurse Corps Loan Repayment Program: Apply for this opportunity by January 13, 2022. This HRSA program supports scholarships and loan repayment assistance for nurses and APRNs at a healthcare facility with a critical shortage or nurse faculty at eligible schools of nursing, as well as other opportunities specific to psychiatric nurse practitioners and nurses specializing in women’s health and public health. For more information, attend an informational webinar on Thursday, January 6, 2022. Click here to apply today.
AACN Attends Webinars Focused on the Future of Health in America:
AACN has attended many virtual webinars looking at COVID-19, pandemic response, and the nation’s future healthcare and workforce needs. To learn more about recent webinars, see below:
- On November 17, The Hill hosted a virtual event “Future of Healthcare Summit: Tackling Costs & Pathways to Care” focusing on the future of health care and policy making following the pandemic response. To learn more about this event, click here.
- On November 19, the T.H. Chan School of Public Health hosted the webinar “Understanding Long COVID: The Unseen Public Health Crisis”. Clinicians, researchers, policy experts, and patients affected by long COVID were brought together to discuss strategies to address this new long-term disease. To watch a recording of the event, click here.
- On November 22, the National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine hosted their fifth and final workshop in a series to explore Crisis Standards of Care recommendations in the setting of the COVID-19 pandemic. To learn more about this event and the workshop series, click here.
- On November 22, AACN attended a HRSA webinar “Healthcare Workforce Resilience” highlighting the importance of healthcare wellness and shared best practices and resources within the healthcare setting. To learn more about this webinar click here.