The Commission on Nurse Certification (CNC) is recruiting volunteers to serve as item writers. As an item writer, you will develop multiple choice items (questions) for the Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) Certification Examination.
- Fourteen Item Writer positions are available
All positions require a three-year term beginning July 1, 2023, and ending June 30, 2026. Individuals may be reappointed.
CNC’s Nominating Committee will evaluate the applications submitted and propose a slate of qualified candidates to fill the vacant positions. The CNC Board of Commissioners will review the qualifications and make the selections for appointments. Individuals in academia and practice are encouraged to apply; you must be a certified CNL to be considered.
Slate Selection Criteria:
- Need for representation across academic/practice setting, demographic information, and geographical regions;
- Need for representatives reflecting subject matter expert diversity;
- Special consideration will be given to candidates with previous service on national boards and committees, distinguished awards and special recognitions, research/ scholarship, and/or thought leadership; and,
- Conflict of interest.
All item writers will be trained to write items and collaborate with the contracted testing agency for the certification exam. Item writers must adhere to the guidelines provided by the testing agency, make every effort to meet all deadlines, update existing items as assigned, and participate in scheduled teleconference and online meetings. NOTE: Item writers may be asked to serve on an exam committee for final review of the items or to determine the cut score.
Serving as an item writer provides you with excellent networking opportunities – you will meet with colleagues in academia and practice. In addition, CNLs who serve as active item writers will receive a 10-point reduction of the contact hour requirement for renewal – 40 contact hours instead of 50 contact hours for the renewal cycle.
To apply, please submit:
- Application Form
- Letter Explaining Your Interest in Serving as an Item Writer including Career Summary of Qualifications (500 words maximum)
- Current Curriculum Vita/Resume
Applications must be received at the CNC by April 3, 2023
Submit the application to CNC Staff at email@example.com
Applicants will be notified by May 15, 2023 of the CNCBOC action regarding appointments.
For more information about the CNC, go to http://www.aacnnursing.org/CNL-Certification.