Published July 01, 2020
AACN's Government Affairs and Policy team reflects on the first half of 2020 and provides an overview of the advocacy work and successes from these past six-months. We’d like to thank all of our AACN Advocates for your impactful efforts and wish everyone a happy Fourth of July! Check out our Advocacy and Policy COVID-19 efforts webpage here.
2020 MID-YEAR REVIEW
THANK YOU AACN ADVOCATES Happy 4th of July
AACN'S COVID-19 ADVOCACY EFFORTS
- AACN President & CEO, Dr. Deborah Trautman, represented academic nursing at a White House Briefing on the role of nurses during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- AACN signed onto more than 25 letters with coalition partners on key issues prevalent during the pandemic such as higher education, broadband, and mental health.
- AACN sent two letters to House and Senate leadership highlighting our COVID-19 legislative requests.
- AACN submitted written testimony to House and Senate Appropriators emphasizing the need for continued investments in Title VIII programs and NINR.
- AACN Advocates sent more than 1,000 messages to Capitol Hill during the Spring Virtual Advocacy Day on key academic nursings provisions to be included in any COVID-19 legislation.
PASSED TITLE VIII NURSING WORKFORCE REAUTHORIZATION ACT!
SIGNED INTO LAW! March 27, 2020
Included in H.R. 748, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, Title VIII Programs provide necessary support to nurses, nursing education, and our communities, especially in underserved areas, to help meet our nation's healthcare needs.