Published January 26, 2022
Deadline Extended: Apply to the Nurse Corps Loan Repayment Program
The Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) is extending the deadline to apply for the Nurse Corp Loan Repayment Program. The new date is January 27, 2022, 7:30pm EST. The program covers up to 85% of unpaid nursing education debt. Eligible applicants must be registered nurses, advanced practice registered nurses, or faculty. Recipients must work for at least two years in a Critical Shortage Facility or at an eligible school of nursing as faculty. To learn more, click here.
AACN Sends Letters to Congress Reiterating Academic Nursing Priorities
On January 19, AACN sent letters to the Senate and Appropriations Committees reiterating our academic nursing priorities.
- In our Senate letter, we urged Senate leadership to preserve and pass the following nursing provisions in any final Build Back Better package:
- $500 million for schools of nursing in underserved areas;
- $500 million for the Nurse Corps; and
- $170 million to grow and diversify the nursing workforce in maternal and perinatal health.
- In our letter to the House and Senate Appropriations Committee, we stressed the need for Congress to avoid a long-term continuing resolution and support the following requests for Fiscal Year (FY) 2022 as outlined in the House-passed minibus appropriation bill:
- At least $314.472 million for the Title VIII Nursing Workforce Development programs; and
- At least $200.782 million for the National Institute of Nursing Research.
AACN remains committed to ensuring that these important academic provisions and essential appropriations make it through the finish line. For the latest updates, please follow @AACNPolicy on Twitter.
$103 Million in Funding Awarded to Reduce Burnout in the Healthcare Workforce
On January 20, the Department of Health and Human Services announced that $103 million in funding will be disbursed to 45 grantees to promote mental health and wellness in the healthcare workforce. These funds will help our nation’s health systems respond to critical staffing needs by providing programs and training on wellness. To learn more, click here.